The Shaked Bill is really two bills in one.
Both of the bills are very long, here is a quick summary of major points.
The National Service Bill
Three different types of National Service:
Civilian-Security-Service (police, prison service, firefighting, protecting witnesses, green & beach police, magen david adom/ambulances, zaka, hatzala, other lifesaving organizations). 36 hours a week for two years.
Civilian-Social-Service (health, welfare, education, environment, absorbing immigration, assisting senior citizens, road safety, government hasbara, national archives work, overseas government work). Choice between 20 hours a week for three years or 30 hours a week for two years, either way it will be a 5-day work-week. 20 paid vacation days a year and 20 paid sick days a year.
Civilian-National Service (the type that we are familiar with today).
Amendment to the Security Service Bill
* Men service goes down from 36 to 32 months (2 years 8 months).
* Learning Torah will be recognized as a service to the State of Israel.
- Hesder track will now serve a minimum of 17 months (1 year 5 months)
- Shiluv, Mechina and other program track adjustments and additions.
- Non-Hesder/Shiluv/Mechina Zionist Yeshiva deferments until age 23 or 26, depending on criteria.
- Zionist Yeshiva students required to learn Torah 40-45 hours a week depending on criteria and not allowed to work.
- Criteria to be included in law.
- Reports Zionist Yeshivas must submit to government.
- Becomes law on March 20 2014.
- Adjustment period for Haredim ends July 1st 2017.
- Defense Minister can allow each Haredi in age brackets 18-21 to defer their army service for up to 12 months each year.
- Defense Minister can grant each Haredi at age 22 a two-year deferment until age 24 or two one-year deferments depending on criteria.
- Defense Minister can allow each Haredi aged 24 and older to enter workforce.
- After age 21 the various national service tracks can be opened up depending on criteria.
- Haredim aged 24 and older can enter employment tracks.
- Haredim can receive up to 15 hours of employment training a week.
- A lot of executive power and room given to Minister of the Economy to integrate Haredim into workforce.
- Defense Minister can release 26 year old Haredim from service if the Haredim meet their target goals after the five year adjustment period.
- Even if Haredim don’t meet target goals, Haredim under 21 will be able to defer service until 21.
- Each year 1,800 additional Haredim will be exempt from serving in military or national service.
- Yeshiva students required to learn Torah 40-45 hours a week depending on criteria and not allowed to work.
- Haredi Yeshiva students aged 22 and older who are married are allowed to work but still must put in the 40-45 hours learning.
- Criteria for who is on list of Haredi Yeshiviot.
- Government reports to Knesset on implementation of the law.
- Criteria for hiring supervisors for this law.
- There will be target numbers for military, and different target numbers for national
- Bottom Line: The bill really gives the Defense Minister a lot of power on how it will be implemented.